Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Noyes Law Office, P.C. Get back on the road to freedom!
  • Get Back On The Road To Freedom!
  • ~
  • Free No Obligation Consultation

Correcting A Police Report After Your Iowa Car Accident


After an Iowa car accident, motorists involved in the accident are required to stop close to the accident scene. Failure to stop after an Iowa car accident is an offense. Even when you’re involved in a minor car accident, the law requires you to stop close to the accident scene without putting yourself or others in harm’s way and blocking traffic. Apart from being required to stop close to the accident scene, drivers are required to call the police as soon as they can after an Iowa car accident. However, if an accident is minor, calling the police may not be necessary. Once you contact the police after a car accident, the police will investigate the accident scene and produce a report.

Even though police officers are trained to investigate car accidents and prepare reports, they don’t always get it right when it comes to these reports. So, what happens when you discover the police report written after your car accident is inaccurate? Can you correct a police report after an Iowa car accident? Keep reading to find out.

Importance of Police Reports

Understanding whether or not you can correct a mistake on a police report is quite crucial, considering how important these reports are. A police report is quite important, especially if you plan on filing a claim against an at-fault party. The police report written after your car accident can provide the insurance company with crucial information about your claim. Insurance companies have a lot of confidence in police reports because such reports are unbiased and official. Also, to insurance companies, police reports give a recollection of important events that occurred on the day of an accident, as opposed to witnesses’ testimonies or testimonies of the parties involved in the accident.

Police reports usually contain important information such as;

  • Details of an accident, including the time the accident happened, and the location of the accident
  • Damages to vehicles
  • Witnesses’ and drivers’ statements
  • Photos of the accident
  • Diagrams that can paint a clear picture of the accident
  • Details of any injuries incurred
  • Officer’s statement of how the accident occurred

Correcting a Police Report

At large, a police report may contain a factual error or non-factual error/disputed information. Correcting factual errors can be relatively easy, whereas altering disputed information can be difficult. If, for example, a police report misspells your name or states the wrong date of your accident, a correction may be made quite easily. In such a case, you can have the modification made by providing documentation to help with the alteration. Conversely, if you disagree with a witness statement, you may experience difficulties when trying to have the police report amended. However, if you encounter a non-factual error in a police report, you can write a statement and politely request it be attached to the police report. Unfortunately, your account doesn’t have to be attached to the police report.

Regardless of whether you find a factual error or disputed information on a police report, remember to;

  • be polite
  • act fast and
  • retain an experienced attorney

Contact a Southeast Iowa Car Accident Attorney

If you were in a car accident and are dealing with an inaccurate police report, contact a skilled Southeast Iowa auto accident attorney at the Noyes Law Office today to receive help.


  • $1 Million
    Truck vs. auto case. Policy limits a 35 year old married mother of two killed.
  • $812 Thousand
    Rear-End Motor Vehicle Accident
  • $650 Thousand
    Settlement for spouse of deceased worker.
  • $575 Thousand
    Premises Liability Settlement
  • $500 Thousand
    Auto accident settlement with resulting post-concussive head complications (no wage loss).
  • $350 Thousand
    Injury from work with complications after surgery.
  • $300 Thousand
    Policy limits for 88 year old man rear ended.
  • $190 Thousand
    Read-End Accident with Tinitus Diagnosis.
  • $180 Thousand
    Slip and fall with a broken arm and torn rotator cuff.
  • $190 Thousand
    Bilateral carpal tunnel injury- $135,000 against the employer and $55,000 against the Second Injury Fund.
  • $185 Thousand
    Injured back.
  • $175 Thousand
    Broken leg of a 67 year old.
  • $160 Thousand
    Broken hip of 83 year old woman.
  • $155 Thousand
    Non-displaced fractured hip.
  • $100 Thousand
    Aggravation of degeneration disk disease.
  • Previous
  • Next

Get Back On The Road To Freedom!

Free No Obligation Consultation

Our Southeast Iowa personal injury, workers compensation and bankruptcy attorneys serve clients in Fairfield, Ottumwa, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa City, Knoxville, Oskaloosa, Fort Madison, Muscatine, Keosauqua, Birmingham, Centerville, Bloomfield, Keokuk, Sigourney, Richland, Burlington, Washington & Columbus Junction.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation